LOUISIANA STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 24 Hours Biennially
Including 3 Hours of Ethics
- License renewal date to be the last day of the birth month with the license number determining the renewal year. Licenses ending in even numbers renew in even years, and odd numbers in odd years.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
- An instructor can earn the same number of credit hours as the student.
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Course subjects must be for lines of insurance in which license is held
- Before selling, soliciting or negotiating annuity products the Louisiana producer must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours.
- A producer who satisfied a similar annuity training requirement for another state will be considered to have satisfied Louisiana’s requirement.
- As of March 2021, Best Interest Model Regulation is pending in the legislature.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC / LTCP insurance products, a producer must complete an initial 8-hour state-approved LTC / LTCP training course.
- Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: After completing the initial training, resident producers must complete a 4-hour ongoing training course every two years.
- Up to ten (10) credit hours can be carried over to the next compliance period.
- A continuing education course may be repeated for credit if 24 months have passed between the course completions. Previous language provided that a licensee may only receive credit for the same course once per renewal period but did not provide any specific time-frame for course repetition.
- No monitor required for a final exam.
- Newly licensed agents are not required to meet CE requirement for the first renewal period.
- Individuals who are licensed for industrial fire, fidelity and surety, or licenses for lines that require no examination.
- A producer that is sixty five (65) years or older on or before January 1, 2012, who has at least 15 years of experience as a licensed producer,
shall be exempt from CE. Producers who reach age 65 after January 1, 2012 will not qualify for the exemption from CE. If a producer is exempt
prior to January 1, 2012, they will continue to maintain the exemption.
- Non-resident agents may be exempt if licensee meets home state CE requirement.