MASSACHUSETTS STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 60 Hours in the initial Triennial Period (can be less
than 3 years but must be more than 2 years) including 3 hours of Ethics.
Continuing Education 45 Hours Triennially thereafter, including 3 hours of Ethics.
- The CE compliance period is now based on the license renewal date, which is every 3 years based upon the licensee’s date of birth.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses (No 1 hour courses allowed)
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
- Instructors receive the approved number of credit hours for teaching a course, once during each triennium.
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Producers may complete their CE requirement by taking courses approved for any line of authority.
- One-time training must be complete prior to selling annuity products. *Residents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to the Massachusetts law, will be deemed compliant for the Massachusetts requirement.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- An individual shall not sell, solicit or negotiate Long-Term Care insurance in the Commonwealth unless the individual is licensed as an insurance producer for health, accident or sickness and has completed a 1-time training course. The training shall meet the requirements set forth as follows:
- The 1-time training requirement by this section shall be not less than eight (8) hours and the ongoing training required shall be not less than four (4) hours every 24 months.
- For residents and non-residents who have completed an initial or / and ongoing NAIC LTC Training course in another state, they MUST take a 2-hour MassHealth Training course specific to Massachusetts.
- Up to 45 credit hours can be carried over to the next compliance period.
- Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within 3 years after the first completion date.
- Self-study examinations must be proctored by an approved disinterested third-party. The proctoring process must ensure that the examination will be completed by the student, on a closed-book basis without assistance, and the specified conditions of administration are observed.
- The monitor cannot be a family member, nor can it be someone who has a financial interest.
- Specific Monitor Affidavit needed.
- Non-residents, if licensee meets CE requirements for home or any state where an active license is held.
- Individuals licensed prior to April 4, 1983 are exempt from CE requirements as long as they remain continuously licensed.