MARYLAND STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 24 Hours Biennially
Including 3 Hours of Ethics
- License renewal date is the last day of the producer’s birth month.
- As of January 1, 2020 producers MUST complete their CE 15 days prior to renewal date.
- As of January 27, 2020 licensed insurance producers who, as of October 1, 2008, held licenses for 25 or more consecutive years must complete 8 hours of continuing education in each renewal period.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses / Webinars
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses (Only 50% of continuing education credits can be online)
- Instructors shall receive 1.5 times the approved credit as the student.
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- A licensed insurance producer must obtain at least 3 hours of continuing education in Ethics.
- LH / PC combined licensees must complete 6 hours in each LH and PC.
- Excess Ethics credits may not be applied to cover the minimum hours needed in each license specific requirement.
- Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating annuity products in Maryland, producers must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- NAIC training passed for 8 hours initially, 4 hours every-compliance. Compliance for 8-hour training 9/10/08.
- While the state law requiring two hours CE in LTC every two (2) years has not changed, completion of the 8-hour initial training and the ongoing 4 hours each compliance period meets both the LTC regulation and the previous law.
- Credit hours cannot be carried over to the next compliance period.
- Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within a compliance period.
- If the courses are taken in 2 consecutive reporting periods, there must be 6 months between completion dates.
- Closed Book, no monitor required for a final exam.
- Non-residents having met the CE requirements of their home state.