MICHIGAN STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 24 Hours Biennially
Including 3 Hours of Ethics
- Resident individual producer licenses are perpetual as long as the licensee is compliant with Continuing Education credit requirements which is every 2 years, based on the first day of the producer’s birth month in odd- or even-numbered years.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
- Instructors will receive the same amount of credits as the attendees.
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Three (3) hours of ethics each compliance period.
- Twenty-One (21) hours can be completed for any line held.
- Non-residents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to Michigan’s law will be deemed compliant for Michigan’s requirement. Residents MUST complete the new requirement on or after June 29, 2021 to be compliant with the requirements of the Act.
- Producers who become licensed by DIFS on or after June 29, 2021, must complete a 1-time 4-credit training course approved by the Director (approved on or after June 29, 2021) before engaging in the sale of annuities.
- Producers who engage in the sale of annuities and who have completed an annuity training course approved by the Director of the Department of Insurance and Financial Services prior to June 29, 2021, must take either a new 4-credit training course, or an additional 1-time 1-credit training course. The courses must be approved on or after June 29, 2021 to meet the training requirement. (Courses approved on or after June 29, 2021 will include additional information that was not previously required.) The deadline to complete this training is December 29, 2021.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, or negotiate long-term care partnership insurance must complete a one-time training course of not less than 8 hours. Residents and non-residents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to Michigan’s Law will be deemed compliant for Michigan’s requirement.
- After completing the 8-hour initial training requirement, producers must complete a 4-hour LTC training every 24-month period.
- Licensees may carryover up to 12 hours to the next license renewal period. Excess ethics will be carried over as general credit.
- Courses cannot be repeated more than once in a 2-year license term.
- Courses carried forward will count as a duplicate if completed again in the current renewal cycle.
- Self-Study exams are closed-book and must be monitored by a disinterested 3rd party. A disinterested third party is an individual with no family or financial relationship to the student. General Monitor Affidavit needed.
- Individuals licensed 23 months or less at the time of the first CE compliance date are exempt for that first reporting period.
- Individuals who apply for and receive a hardship waiver for terminal illness of self or of immediate family member who requires an ordinate amount of care by licensee or military duty.
- Non-residents meeting home state CE requirements will automatically comply with Michigan’s requirements.