MONTANA STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 24 Hours Biennially
Including 3 Hours of Ethics
- License term is every 2 years, based on the licensee’s birth month in even or odd-numbered years.
Licensees who were born in an even-numbered year will be required to complete their CE in even-numbered years.
Licensees who were born in an odd-numbered year will be required to complete their CE on odd-numbered years. The
license expiration date on the face of each Montana license is the continuing education compliance deadline.
- Resident licensees do not renew their license. The licensee must report the CE completions to the Office of the Insurance Commissioner on or before the license expiration date in order to maintain a valid insurance license.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses
- Self-Study Course
- Online Courses
- Instructors will be credited with two times the number of approved credit hours
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Resident and non-residents must complete 1 credit hour of Legislative changes in Montana Insurance Statutes and Administrative Rules.
- Licensees (except Limited Lines only) may complete their CE requirement by taking courses approved in any line of authority.
- Effective October 1, 2021: A producer who engages in the sale of annuity products must complete a one-time four (4)-credit training course approved by the department of insurance. A producer who has completed an annuity training course approved by the department of insurance prior to October 1, 2021 must, by April 1, 2022, complete either a new four (4)-credit training course approved by the department of insurance after October 1, 2021, or an additional one-time, one (1)-credit training course. Each insurer will be responsible for verifying producer compliance prior to selling its annuity products in Montana.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- Initial eight (8) hours LTC
- Four (4) hours LTC every 2 years following
- Non-residents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to Montana’s law, will be deemed compliant for Montana's requirement
- Credit hours cannot be carried over to the next compliance period.
- Credit will not be given for course that is repeated within a two year biennial period.
- Self-Study exams are closed-book and must be monitored by a disinterested 3rd party. A disinterested third party is an individual with no family or financial relationship to the student, therefore a proctor should not serve for examinations of family members, relatives, or dependents; employers or supervisors; employees or subordinates; partners, joint ventures, or co-owners; or anyone in whom the monitor or instructor has an economic or other interest in assuring the successful outcome of the examination.
- Specific Monitor Affidavit needed.
- The licensee holds a temporary license.
- The licensee has been otherwise exempted by the Montana commissioner.
- Non-resident agents whose home state CE has a reciprocal agreement with Montana.