NEW MEXICO STATE REQUIREMENTS
24-hours of insurance CE, including 3 hours of ethics are required every
2-year license term. A minimum of 3 hours must be completed in a classroom setting.
- The license term ends on the last day of the producer’s birth month, every 2 years. Even birth years renew every even year. Odd birth years renew every odd year.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
- Instructors can receive CE credit for the same amount of hours as their students.
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Three (3) hour of ethics each compliance period.
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- A minimum of 3 hours must be completed in a classroom or in another format that permits student to interact with a live instructor. Licensees are responsible for tracking this requirement and are subject to audit by the superintendent.
- Effective October 1, 2022:
- An insurance producer who engages in the sale of annuity products shall complete a one-time 4 credit training course approved by OSI and provided by an OSI-approved education provider.
- An insurance producer who holds a life insurance line of authority on the effective date of this rule and who desires to sell annuities shall complete the requirements of this section within six months of the effective date of this rule. An insurance producer who obtains a life insurance line of authority on or after the effective date of this rule may not engage in the sale of annuities until the required annuity training course has been completed.
- The minimum length of the training required under this rule shall be sufficient to qualify for at least 4 CE credits but may be longer.
- Licensees who have already completed a 4-hour annuity course prior to 10/1/2022 may complete a 1-hour annuity best interest course or complete the new 4-hour annuity best interest course. Licensees will only have until 3/31/2023 to be able to take the 1-hour course.
- Licensees who have not completed an annuity course must take the 4-hour annuity best interest course prior to selling annuities.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance products in New Mexico, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course. Producers may take any 8-hour NAIC approved LTC course for use in any licensed state.
- Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: From the date of completing the 8-hour initial training requirement, producers must complete 4 hours of state-approved LTC training every 24 months thereafter. Producers may take any 8-hour NAIC approved LTC course for use in any licensed state.
- Non-resident insurance producers selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC products in New Mexico, who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to New Mexico’s law will be deemed compliant for New Mexico’s requirement.
- Excess CE hours may not be carried over to the next 3-year license term.
- Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within a three-year period.
- No monitor required for a final exam.
- Any licensee that has been continuously licensed and in good standing for 25 years, is eligible to apply for a Grandfather Exemption.
- Non-resident agents who have met the CE requirements of their home state.