NEW YORK STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 15 Hours Biennially
The New York State Department of Financial Services is implementing new CE requirements for licensees renewing on or after 4/1/2022. The 15 hours of CE must now include:
- 1 hr of Insurance Law instruction
- 1 hr of Ethics and Professionalism instruction
- 1 hr of Diversity, Inclusion and Elimination of Bias instruction
- 1 hr of Flood Insurance instruction (if P&C licensed)
- 3 hrs of Enhanced Flood Insurance instruction (if selling flood insurance through NFIP)
PLEASE NOTE: If your license renewal date falls after 4/1/2022, but you choose to
renew early (before 4/1/22), then these requirements won’t apply until your next renewal cycle.
Are there any course approval restrictions for New York Insurance CE?
- Licensees must take courses in license type held
- Credit earned from a Bridge Course may be applied to both the renewal requirements for a Life and Health license as well as a Property and Casualty license.
- An agent licensed in both Life and Health and Property and Casualty lines of authority may have Bridge Course credit apply to the total renewal requirement of both licenses. They may take only a total of 15 credit hours that are approved as Bridge Courses to satisfy their continuing education renewal requirements or may take a total of 30 hours of credit, with 15 hours in each line of authority.
- License renewal date is the agent’s date of birth, biennially.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom / Speech / Seminar Courses
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Courses must be approved for lines of insurance for which license is held.
- Regulation 187 requires insurers to set forth standards and procedures for recommendations to consumers with respect to both life insurance and annuity contracts. Insurance companies are responsible for ensuring that every producer recommending its life and annuity products is adequately trained to make the recommendation, however, Regulation 187 does not require the completion of specific training classes. It is the responsibility of the producer to know the annuity training requirements of the insurance company with whom he or she works.
- Non-residents who want to sell annuity products in NY must complete the NY 4-hour annuity course.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- Licensed producers who sell NY State LTC Partnership insurance must be certified as a Partnership agent. To be certified they must complete a one-time state specific 8-hour training requirement prior to marketing LTCP, which will count toward their total CE requirement. The course is only offered by the New York State Department of Health.
- Non-resident must meet the NY State LTC Partnership requirements.
- Credit hours cannot be carried over to the next compliance period.
- A licensee cannot ever repeat a course for credit.
- Final exams are no longer required to be monitored as of 11/02/2020.
- Non-resident agents whose home state requires CE and has a reciprocal agreement with New York.
- Individuals who have a limited line license for which an exam is not required in New York.