PENNSYLVANIA STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 24 Hours Biennially
- The license renewal date is the agent’s birth date. CE requirements must be met on or before the expiration date of the current license.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
- Instructors will receive double credits for teaching a course. Course repetition rules apply
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Any PA approved course can be completed to satisfy CE requirements
- Effective June 20, 2022, licensees who sell annuity products will need to complete an annuity course covering the NAIC Best Interest Standards.
- Licensees who have already completed a 4-hour annuity course prior to 6/20/2022 may complete a 1-hour annuity best interest course or complete the new 4-hour annuity best interest course. Licensees will only have until 12/20/2022 to be able to take the 1-hour course.
- Licensees who have not completed an annuity course must take the 4-hour annuity best interests course prior to selling annuities.
- Residents and non-residents who have completed training including the NAIC Best Interest Standards in another state with laws similar to Pennsylvania law will be deemed compliant with this requirement.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- Initial 8-hour training requirement: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating long-term care partnership products, producers must complete an initial 8-hour state-approved training course
- Ongoing 4-hour training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour LTC training requirement, producers must complete a 4 hour follow-up training course every 24-month compliance period following the initial training
- The 1 hour PA Medicaid Long Term Care Training Course is required and included within the 8 Hour Training course
- Up to 24 credit hours can be carried over to the next compliance period
- Credit will not be given for course that is repeated within a compliance period
- The exam must be a proctored, closed-book exam with no assistance provided to the student. A disinterested third party (someone other than a supervisor or relative) may proctor the exam
- Specific Monitor Affidavit needed
- Insurance Producers licensed prior to January 1, 1971, that have been continuously licensed and have not added any additional lines of authority.
- Limited lines.
- Individuals exempted by the commissioner due to hardship or good cause such as disability or medical condition.
- Non-residents are exempt if home state has a CE requirement.