SOUTH CAROLINA STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 24 Hours Biennially
Including 3 hours of Ethics
- Renewal is the last day of the licensee’s birth month. Producers born in an odd numbered year must comply biennially by the end of their birth month every odd numbered year. Producers born in an even numbered year must comply by the end of their birth month every even numbered year.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
- Instructors may receive the same number of credits as the attendees.
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Three (3) hours of ethics each compliance period.
- Producers may complete their 24-hour CE requirement by taking courses approved for any line of authority. Producers who hold a dual property and casualty license and a life, accident, and health license must complete at least 8 of the required 24 CE hours in courses related to each of these lines of authority.
- Effective November 27th, 2022, a producer who engages in the sale of annuity products will need to complete a new annuity course that includes the new Best Interest rules. Insurance producers who hold a life insurance line of authority on the effective date of this regulation and who desire to sell annuities shall complete the requirements of this subsection within six (6) months after the effective date of this regulation. Individuals who obtain a life insurance line of authority on or after the effective date of this regulation may not engage in the sale of annuities until the annuity training course required under this subsection has been completed. A producer who has completed an annuity training course approved by the department of insurance prior to November 27, 2022 shall, within six (6) months after November 27, 2022, complete either: a new four (4) credit training course approved by the department of insurance after May 27, 2023; or an additional one-time one (1) credit training course approved by the department of insurance and provided by the department of insurance-approved education provider on appropriate sales practices, replacement and disclosure requirements under this amended regulation. Annuity training courses may be conducted and completed by classroom or self-study methods in accordance with S.C. Code Section 38-43-106 and S.C. Code of Regulations 69-50. MUST complete by 5/27/23.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling LTC insurance products in South Carolina, producers must complete an initial
8-hour LTC training course.
- Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour training requirement, LTC producers must complete
4 hours of LTC training every 24 months from the initial 8-hour course completion date.
- A max of 18 credit hours can be carried over to the next compliance period.
- Ethics carry over as general credits.
- Credit may not be given for a course that has been repeated within two years of its original completion date.
- Effective May 1, 2022: Proctored exams will be reinstated.
Exams are required to be monitored by a disinterested third party.
- Specific Monitor Affidavit needed.
- Individuals licensed only for limited lines.
- Non-residents in compliance with the CE requirements of their home state.