SOUTH DAKOTA STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 10 Hours Biennially
- License renewal date is the last day of the producer’s birth month.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Courses must be for lines of insurance license approved for.
- General credit hours may be applied to either Life / Health or Property / Casualty credits.
- Effective January 1, 2023: Licensees who sell annuity products will need to complete an annuity course covering the NAIC Best Interest Standards.
- Resident and non-resident licensees who have already completed a 4-hour annuity course prior to 1/1/2023 may complete a 1-hour annuity best interest course or complete the new 4-hour annuity best interest course. Licensees will only have until 6/30/2023 to be able to take the 1-hour course.
- Resident and non-resident licensees who have not completed an annuity course must take the 4-hour annuity best interest course prior to selling annuities.
- Annuity Best Interest training courses with substantially similar content, completed in another state and based on the NAIC 2020 Annuity Model Law will satisfy the training requirements for South Dakota.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling LTC insurance products in South Dakota, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course.
- Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: After completing the initial 8-hour training requirement, producers continuing to sell LTC must complete 4 hours of state-approved LTC training by July 1st in even years.
- Credit hours cannot be carried over to the next compliance period.
- Credit will not be given for course that is repeated within a compliance period.
- No monitor required for a final exam.
- A licensee holding a limited license.
- Licensees who are at least 65 years old and have been licensed in South Dakota for at least 10 years as of July 1, 2006.
- Non-residents compliant in home state.