TENNESSEE STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 24 Hours Biennially
Including 3 Hours of Ethics
- License renewal date is before the last day of their birth month.
- Agents must have their CE credit hours posted prior to their expiration date and prior to applying to renew their insurance license(s).
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
- Instructors receive the same credit as the student for classes taught. Duplication rules apply.
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Three (3) hours of ethics each compliance period.
- Licensees may take courses in any line of authority.
- Effective January 1, 2024, licensees who sell annuity products will need to complete a new annuity course that includes the new Best Interest rules. Licensees who have already completed a 4-hour annuity course prior to 1/01/24 may complete a 1-hour annuity best interest course or complete the new 4-hour annuity best interest course. Licensees who have not completed a 4-hour annuity course must take the annuity best interests’ course prior to selling annuities. MUST complete by 06/30/2024.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- Initial 8-hour training requirement: Before selling, soliciting or negotiating LTC insurance products in Tennessee, producers must complete an initial 8-hour training course.
- Ongoing 4-hour training requirement: After meeting the initial training requirement, producers must complete 4 hours of state-approved LTC training in every 24-month period following the initial training.
- Up to 12 hours may be carried over to the next compliance period.
- Ethics are carried over as general credits.
- Courses may not be repeated within 2 years from original course completion date.
- Any course hours carried over to next renewal will be counted as duplicate if same course is taken again in new renewal cycle.
- No monitor required for a final exam.
- Individuals who have been licensed continuously in Tennessee since January 1, 1994.
- Non-residents if their state has CE requirements and has a reciprocal agreement with Tennessee.
- Limited lines.