WEST VIRGINIA STATE REQUIREMENTS
Continuing Education 24 Hours Biennially
Including 3 Hours of Ethics
- License renewal date is the last day of the birth month every 2 years.
COURSES ACCEPTED FOR CE CREDIT
- Classroom Courses
- Self-Study Courses
- Online Courses
- Instructors may receive the same amount of credit hours as the students but only once for any single course during the biennium.
COURSE SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
- Three (3) hours of ethics each compliance period.
- Effective June 8, 2023, licensees who sell annuity products will need to complete an annuity course covering the NAIC Best Interest Standards. Licensees who have already completed a 4-hour annuity course prior to 06/07/2023 may complete a 1-hour annuity best interest course or complete the new 4-hour annuity best interest course. Licensees will only have until 12/07/2023 to be able to take the 1-hour course. Licensees who have not completed an annuity course must take the 4-hour annuity best interests course prior to selling annuities.
LONG TERM CARE REQUIREMENT
- Initial 8-hour LTC training requirement: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance products in West Virginia producers must complete a one-time state-approved training course of no less than 8 hours.
- Ongoing 4-hour LTC training requirement: A 4-hour state-approved follow-up course must be completed every 2-year licensing period after the period in which initial training was completed.
- Up to 6 credit hours may be carried over to the next compliance period.
- Ethics and long-term care are carried over as general credits.
- Credit will not be given for a course that is repeated within a compliance period.
- Self-study examinations must be proctored by an approved disinterested third-party and graded by the course provider. The proctoring process must ensure that the examination will be completed by the student, on a closed-book basis without assistance, and that the specified conditions of administration are observed.
- Specific Monitor Affidavit needed.
- Individuals holding limited lines.
- Non-residents who CE requirements are satisfied and current in home state.